A construction worker has been seriously injured following an electric shock from overhead power cables.
Mark Rushbrook, a twenty four year old self-employed steel erector from Norfolk, was on a farm in Bedfordshire constructing two poultry sheds. He was cladding the gable end of a steel frame using a scissor lift, when the lift came into contact with an over head power cable.
Mr Rushbrook suffered internal muscle damage as well as serious burns to his hands and stomach after receiving an 11kv electric shock in 2009.
Two companies, a sub contractor and a director where fined a total £130,000, after the investigation carried out by the health and safety executive (HSE) showed in court that the parties responsible failed to see the risks involved when working near overhead power cables, and had not provided the relevant safety precautions or notified the proper authorities.
The owner of the farm, where Mr Rushbrook received his electric shock was fined £40,000 for breaching the Health and Safety at Work act and the Construction Regulations 2007. The owner was also made to pay £5,500 in costs.
The director of C& P Bird Brothers Ltd, Peter Bird was fined £5,000 and ordered pay legal costs of £2,500 and Michael Skayman a subcontractor was fined £25,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,750 for breaking the Health and Safety at Work act.
Morspan Construction Limited who were fined for breaking the Health and Safety at Work act and the Construction Regulations 2007, to a total of £30,000 and costs of £5,250