An electrical contractor has been prosecuted, after an apprentice suffered serious back injuries in a fall from height accident.
Richard O’Connor was just eighteen years old at the time of the incident and was working for Roberts and Prowse (Swindon) Ltd, on an electrical installation at the Platform Youth Centre, on Farringdon Road, when he fell from a timber walkway and plummeted almost five and a half metres through a plaster-board ceiling.
Richard suffered three fractured vertebrae in the accident, as well as multiple cuts and bruises, his injuries were so severe that he was off work for over eight weeks.
An inspector from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) stated that Roberts and Prowse had failed to carry out an adequate risk assessment of the work involved and had failed to put in place safety measures, which would have prevented employees falling through the plaster-board ceiling.
Roberts and Prowse (Swindon) Ltd, of Barnfield Crescent, in Exeter, was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay a total of £5,156 in court costs after admitting a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act, following a successful prosecution by the HSE at Swindon Magistrates Court.