A Gloucestershire catering company has been fined £6,500, after an employee broke his wrist in a fall from height accident.
The Gloucestershire Gazette is reporting that sous chef Mariusz Dziamski, was attempting to retrieve a set of kitchen pans, which had been stored in the roof space of William’s Kitchen, in Bath Road, Calcot.
Cheltenham Magistrates Court was told that Mr. Dziamski had climbed into the roof space using a pair of stepladders but as he attempted to get down he fell through the suspended ceiling.
As Mr. Dziamski fell he collided with the step ladders, which broke his fall but resulted in the sous chef fracturing his wrist.
Stroud District Council prosecuted Calcot Health and Leisure Ltd, who also own the Calcot Manor Hotel, near Tetbury, after it was revealed that the catering firm had been warned not to use the roof space for storage purposes, following a risk assessment carried out in 2009.
The company was fined £6,500 and ordered to pay court costs totalling £2,954, after admitting a breach of Health and Safety Regulations.
Speaking after the court hearing managing director Richard Ball stated that the company was committed to ensuring a high standard of health and safety, for both guests and employees and deeply regretted that Mariusz had been injured while carrying out his duties.