Blog - Accidents at Work

Council Employee Suffers Electric Shock Removing Lamp Post

A council employee suffered burn injuries after they suffered an electric shock whilst working to remove a lamp post.

The unnamed 33 year old man was working to remove a lamp post in Radcliffe when the incident happened in June 2011. The road he was working on had recently been fitted with new street lights, and the older lights had subsequently been disconnected, so that they could be removed.

The council worker was using a jackhammer to break up the concrete around the base of the old posts so that they could be removed. Unfortunately, the jackhammer struck an underground electricity cable, and the man suffered a 230 volt electric shock.

The electric shock caused the worker to suffer burns to his leg, groin and wrist. The injuries kept him off work for a number of days after the accident.

The HSE investigated the cause of the incident. They found that the injured man and his colleague had not been given plans showing the position of the underground electricity cables.

A prosecution was brought against Bury Metropolitan Borough council for breaking health and safety law and failing to ensure the safety of workers. They pleaded guilty at Trafford Magistrates’ Court on Friday and were fined £20,000.

Post your comments

What could your claim be worth?