A West Yorkshire council has been prosecuted, after a school caretaker suffered a serious fall while changing a light-bulb.
Sixty two year old David O’Hanlon, from Bingley, had agreed to take early retirement when the old Beckfoot School building closed but had decided to stay on, in order to supervise the task of clearing out the premises prior to demolition.
Bradford Magistrates’ Court heard that Mr. O’Hanlon was attempting to change a light-bulb in the schools roof void, when he inadvertently stood on an un-boarded area, which collapsed under his weight and sent him plummeting almost four metres into the school’s hall below.
Mr. O’Hanlon is now permanently disabled, after fracturing his hip and shattering his heel bone in the accident.
His damaged hip required screws and he has been informed that he will probably require a hip replacement operation in the future; it is also likely that he will suffer with severe arthritis and may not regain his full mobility.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) decided to prosecute Bradford Council, after an investigation into the incident revealed several safety flaws.
The council was fined £15,000 after pleading guilty to a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act and was also ordered to pay a total of £5,667 in court costs.