A man’s fall from a ladder has led to a fine for a building company from Birmingham.
Adrian Morrow was a contractor for David Hodkinson (who was trading as Central Construction) at the moment of the accident in November 2011. He was working on chimney repairs at a domestic property in Sutton Coldfield at the time.
To get up to the height of the chimney, he was working from a roof ladder. However, as he descended the ladder it came away from its moorings. This caused Mr Morrow to fall from a height of five metres. He landed on a bag of sand that had been positioned at the base of the ladder to secure its footing.
Despite landing on the sand bag, Mr Morrow still suffered injury in the accident. He sustained damage to his ankle and foot that required surgery and physiotherapy to treat. In all, he had to spend four months off work whilst he recovered.
The investigation into the accident by the Health and Safety Executive found that the work at height had not been planned or supervised correctly. No measures had been put in place to prevent falls from height.
David Hodkinson was fined £1,500 for breaking work at height regulations in regards to the work. A HSE inspector stated that Mr Morrow’s accident could have been avoided had scaffolding been provided to carry out the work from.