The family of a grandmother who was tragically killed by a superbug are seeking hospital infection compensation for her death.
Rose Teresa Reid was suffering from gallstones for months up to her death in 2008. She visited Mid Ulster and Antrim Area Hospitals severasl times in the period before her death. She was given medication and discharged. However, her health deteriorated rapidly and she was eventually readmitted though this time in intensive care. She unfortunately passed away shortly after.
Her death certificate officially records her death as being caused by blood poisoning associated with C Difficile. The Northern Trust, who operates both Hospitals, is already facing an inquiry into a C Difficle outbreak. The superbug causes intestinal infection and can be incredibly dangerous, especially in the elderly.
When Rose was admitted to intensive care finally, she was suffering from severe abdominal pain. Medical staff later found her bowel had leaked and was poisoning her system.
Her family, including her daughter Siobhan McGuigan are dismayed that her mother can go from gallstones to such a tragic end by visiting the facilities that were supposed to make her well again. They have just issued a writ giving notice of their intention to sue the Trust for compensation.