Blog - Accidents at Work

Fine for Firm that put Workers at Risk of Electric Shock

A firm has been fined after they were found to be putting workers at risk of suffering an electrical shock injury.

Techplas Limited, a plastics manufacturer from Sudbury, Suffolk, were issued the fine after an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive. The HSE were looking into an unrelated issue at the premises when the safety failings were found in October 2011.

The issues with the electrical systems were serious and consisted of numerous problems, including a live exposed cable hanging off the wall. This cable was a live 400 volt cable and posed a significant danger to workers.

Other problems found included a broken electrical socket with a similar live 400 volt cable coiled on the floor in front of it. Issues were also found with electric switches and the safety guard being removed from a plastic forming machine.

The HSE issued the company with a Prohibition Notice. This meant that work had to stop until the premises and workplace had been made safe.

Yesterday, the firm pleaded guilty at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court to breaking Electricity at Work Regulations. They were given a fine of £5,930.

A spokesperson for the HSE called the state of the electrical systems “simply appalling”.

Post your comments

What could your claim be worth?