A fine has been issued to an outdoor advertising company after a man injured his hand in a lawn mower.
The incident happened in August last year when a maintenance worker was operating at a billboard site in Bristol. The unnamed man was using a petrol powered lawn mower to clean up the site.
However, whilst he was doing this, the mower became blocked. To clear the blockage, the man reached inside the mower, under the belief that it had been switched off.
Unfortunately whilst his hand was in the mower, the blades began rotating again and he suffered a serious hand injury. His thumb was almost severed, and he had to undergo lengthy surgery to have it re-attached.
The HSE investigated the incident and found that the mower was not in good condition, and had a safety feature (that cuts out the engine) not working. It was also found that the advertising company – Clear Channel UK Ltd – did not have an adequate fault reporting and maintenance system for equipment, such as mowers, that was used by their employees.
This week, the company have pleaded guilty at Bristol Magistrates’ Court to breaking work equipment regulations in regards to the incident. This resulted in them being fined £12,700.