Blog - Work Injury Claim

Football Club Fined after Teenage Catering Assistant is Scalded

A seventeen year old catering assistant suffered serious personal injury, when she was scalded by hot water at Barnet Football Club’s tea hut.

Charlotte Lytton was preparing for her shift in the hut, while two of her young male colleagues attempted to move a tea urn, which was obstructing a serving hatch.

Unfortunately as the urn was being moved it began to leak boiling hot water onto the two boys forcing them to drop it.

When the urn hit the floor Ms. Lytton was showered with boiling hot water, causing severe burns to her feet, legs and arms. Her injuries were further compounded after she slipped while trying to escape the boiling hot fluid.

Barnet FC Ltd was fined a total of £11,000 after admitting breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act, following an appearance at Hendon Magistrates’ Court.

Former catering manager at the club Allan Collinge was also fined £2,000 and ordered to pay a total of £535 in court costs, after admitting failing to take reasonable care of himself and others.

Councillor David Longstaff stated that he hoped the sentences would remind employers of the importance of ensuring their employees safety at work and in particular the safety of younger members of staff.

Post your comments

What could your claim be worth?