Blog - Work Injury Claim

Hotel Fined after Teenage Employee Suffers Serious Burn Injuries

A North Yorkshire hotel owner has been fined, after a teenage member of staff suffered serious burn injuries following an accident at work.

The seventeen year old girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been left scarred for life, after burning three of her fingers on a rotary iron at the Downcliffe House Hotel in Filey.

The girl required treatment at the Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield, which is well known for its treatment of burn victims but it is understood that she may not recover full feeling in the three fingers affected.

An investigation into the incident by the Scarborough Council Environmental Health Department, revealed that the iron had several serious faults and had not been serviced or maintained correctly, it was also noticed that the iron was not being used in accordance with the manufacturer’s directions and a safety switch on the device had been removed, which interfered with the machines safe operation.

The Downcliffe House Hotel Ltd was fined £5,000 at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court, after admitting seven breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Speaking after the court hearing the councils Health and Community Safety manager, stated that the accident had been totally preventable, adding that the hotel had shown a total disregard for health and safety legislation.

Post your comments

What could your claim be worth?