A kennel manufacturing company based in Staffordshire has been prosecuted, after an employee severed a finger while using a circular saw.
Twenty two year old Antony Capewell, from Stoke-on-Trent, was working at the Chesterton site of Ultra Kennels Limited and was using the circular table saw to make angular cuts in lengths of timber, when his left hand came into contact with the spinning blade.
Mr. Capewell severed his index finger at the first knuckle and suffered deep cuts to his middle finger and thumb, his injuries were so severe that he was off work for a period of six months.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) discovered that the employee had not been trained to use woodworking machinery and had no previous experience of working on a table saw.
Ultra Kennels Limited, of Chesterton, in Newcastle, Staffordshire, was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay court costs totalling £2,500 after admitting a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act at South Walls Magistrates’ Court.
Speaking after the court hearing a HSE inspector called the incident ‘entirely preventable’ adding that poor safeguards and inadequate training was responsible for high incident rates in the woodworking industry.