High Street chain Laura Ashley has been fined after a young child was injured in one if its stores
The child, who was not identified for legal reasons, suffered a fractured skull after being crushed by a collapsing fireplace stand at the store’s Norwich branch.
The latest accident follows a similar incident at the Guildford branch of the Laura Ashley chain, where a toddler was also injured when a fireplace collapsed.
Laura Ashley pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety regulations at Norwich Magistrates Court. They were subsequently fined £20,000 for the incident under the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act which states that an employer has a duty to protect the safety of non-workers in their premises.
The chain was fined a further £3,500 for failing to review their risk assessment procedures following the first incident.
A representative from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) said, “This case illustrates the sad fact that many organisations are still failing to put good arrangements in place to learn lessons from incidents and near misses.”
The child has since believed to have made a good recovery and Laura Ashley have apologised for the accident.