Blog - Miscellaneous

Man who died of mesothelioma was exposed to asbestos for years

A man died of an asbestos-related illness after he spent years working packing metal samples into asbestos cords and wool.

Roy Holt, who died of mesothelioma at the age of 72, worked for the Central Electricity Generating Board near Birmingham in his early career and it is here that his extended exposure to asbestos took place.

At the factory he tested the resistance of materials that were packed into the asbestos-coated products by firing them into large furnaces.

A former colleague of Mr Holt, Tom Rowberry displayed the horrific exposure that workers at the factory were enduring to get the job done. He said: “We were eating the stuff. There were no masks or protective suits. We handled asbestos by hand. We were covered in it.”

Mr Rowberry worked with Mr Holt between 1963 and 1966, when the substance was still widely used. It wasn’t until the 1970’s that the industry began to realise that asbestos-exposure was dangerous to health and began to look for safer alternatives.

However, for many it was too late and an asbestos-related illness became inevitable. Due to the lengthy incubation period of diseases such as mesothelioma, a large portion of 1960’s workers are only just becoming ill with symptoms now.

It is likely that Mr Holt’s family could make a claim for compensation against the company for the illness that he suffered due to his work.

Post your comments

What could your claim be worth?