A popular children’s nursery has been prosecuted by Broadland District Council, after a fourteen month old toddler lost part of his finger in a closing door.
Norwich Crown Court was told that the child had been playing close to the kitchen at the Just Learning centre, in Thorpe St Andrew, near Norwich, when his finger became trapped between the kitchen door and the frame.
BBC News Norfolk is reporting that delays at the nursery in dealing with the incident meant that surgeons could not re-attach the severed tip of his little finger and although the child has not suffered major cosmetic damage, he has lost some feeling in the affected finger.
Just Learning limited which operate more than seventy nurseries across the United Kingdom, was fined £40,000 and ordered to pay court costs totalling £35,000 after admitting a breach of the Health and Safety regulations, at Norwich Crown Court.
The court was told that the accident could easily have been prevented had the company installed finger guards on the doors.
A spokesperson for the nursery stated that the health and safety of children in their care was of paramount importance, adding that finger guards have now been fitted to all doors at the nursery which could be accessed by children.