Blog - Road Traffic Accidents

Student Nurse who Lost Leg Wins £800,000 Motorbike Accident Compensation Claim

A student nurse has won her motorbike accident compensation claim after suffering a devastating injury in a crash.

The Bournemouth Echo newspaper is reporting the Lisa Bennett was on her way to work when the accident happened in December 2004. She was commuting on her 125cc bike to St Ann’s Hospital in Bournemouth to attend a night shift. Unfortunately, during her commute, she was knocked off her bike in a collision with a car and suffered devastating injuries.

Ms Bennett suffered a fractured spine and broken bones in her shoulder and ribs. It was her right leg however that was most seriously injured in the crash, and it had to be amputated below the knee. Despite being fitted with a prosthetic limb, she still regularly uses a wheelchair and suffers severe pain.

Ms Bennett made a compensation claim against the driver of the car that hit her. In an out of court settlement the insurance company for the car driver admitted to 80% liability for the accident. The other 20% liability was attributed to Ms Bennett, as a light on her bike wasn’t working and made it more difficult to see her.

She was awarded £800,000 in compensation for her injuries.

Post your comments

What could your claim be worth?