A Sussex widow has been awarded substantial compensation after her husband died as a result of exposure to deadly asbestos fibres.
The Rye and Battle Observer is reporting that Brenda Clark, from Battle, in East Sussex has received compensation of £160,000 after her husband James died from the asbestos related illness mesothelioma.
Mr. Clark was employed by the Anderson Construction Company of Richmond Road, in Twickenham as a ceiling fixer, whose work involved drilling holes into asbestos tiles, which at the end of the day would leave him covered in deadly asbestos dust.
He was diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2008 and tragically died the same year at the Conquest Hospital, in Hastings.
His employers the Anderson Construction Company admitted liability for Mr. Clark’s condition and awarded his widow Brenda £160,000 in asbestos compensation.
Mesothelioma is a form of cancer which is almost exclusively caused by exposure to asbestos. It can take between forty and sixty years for victims to display any symptoms, so we are only recently beginning to see the affect of asbestos on workers exposed during the sixties and seventies.
Other serious illnesses connected with asbestos include asbestosis and pleural plaques and compensation can be claimed against companies who negligently exposed workers to risk.