The widow of a man who died after suffering an allergic reaction to eggs has had the decision to award £415,000 for her legal claim for damages upheld. Kuldip Singh Bhamra knew of his allergy but died after eating a dish at a wedding banquet held in a Sikh temple in 2003. As the consumption of eggs and egg products, is strictly forbidden in Sikh temples, Mr Bhamra wrongly believed he faced no danger. Mr Bhamra had travelled from Birmingham to London to attend the large wedding ceremony. The court heard that the size of the attendance at the wedding surprised the caterers, leading them to order in food from an outside source. Unfortunately, these new supplies contained a quantity of ras malai, the dish that is thought to have contained the egg product. Mr Bharma’s widow and her legal team successfully proved that the caterers for the ceremony, Lucky Caterers and its owner Prem Dubb were negligent in supplying food for the banquet.
The decision to reward the claim for damages was originally agreed at Oxford County Court in November 2008. Mr Dubb appealed this decision but lost his case at the appeal court last week. He was ordered to pay a further £36,000 damages in interest.