A woman, who slipped on a pool of water and knocked herself unconscious, has been awarded compensation of £37,000.
Sylvia McNicholl was on a two-week family holiday in Tenerife when the accident happened in May 2008. She was staying at the Fanabe Costa Sur hotel on the island, and was on just the first night of her break.
The accident occurred when she slipped on a pool of water that had leaked from a faulty air conditioning machine. The slip caused her to fall backwards and she struck her head on a cupboard door.
The impact to her head knocked her unconscious and had a lasting effect of her health. She had to have stitches on the wound and suffered from headaches and dizziness. The injury has left her with a permanently reduced sense of taste and smell.
The Daily Record reports that she has now received £37,000 in compensation after making a holiday accident claim against the tour operator, Thomas Cook. The payout covers earnings she has lost from being unable to work.
It was found that the air conditioning unit was not maintained in the way it was required to be by laws in Spain.