An automotive component manufacturer has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), after an employee lost four of his fingers in an accident at work.
The worker who has not been named was working for Schlegel Automotive Europe Ltd, at their factory in Coalville, Leicestershire and was attempting to unblock a nozzle on an injection moulding machine.
Leicester Magistrates Court was told that the heated nozzle was pushed through the employee’s left hand as he removed waste hot rubber from the machine, causing serious personal injury which led to the amputation of four of his fingers.
An investigation into the incident, carried out by the HSE, revealed that a safety mechanism installed on the machine which could have prevented the accident, had failed to operate due to a lack of maintenance.
Schlegel Automotive Europe Ltd, of Bardon Hill, in Coalville, was fined £9,000 with court costs totalling £6,584, after admitting a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act.
Speaking after the court hearing a HSE inspector stated that the company had failed to carry out regular preventative maintenance and daily safety checks, which could have prevented the life changing injuries caused.