A Tyneside man suffered serious burn injuries, after being soaked with toxic corrosive chemicals in an accident at work.
Sixty six year old Michael Reid, from North Shields was working as an electroplater at DMI (UK) Ltd and was topping up a stripping tank, used in the electroplating process.
However as the highly corrosive sodium hydroxide was being pumped into the tank the pumps hose became disconnected and Mr. Reid was showered with the toxic chemical.
He was hospitalised for two weeks following the incident and had to endure skin grafts, after suffering serious burn injuries to his legs and body, he has since retired and never returned to the company.
An investigation into the incident by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that the hose connected to the pump had been secured with tape, rather than a permanent fixing such as a jubilee clip.
DMI (UK) Ltd, of the West Chirton Industrial Estate, in North Shields, was fined £12,000 with a total of £4,081 in costs, after admitting a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act at North Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.
A HSE inspector stated that the accident could easily have been prevented, if the company had in place a basic system to check and maintain equipment.