FAQ Header


Amanda Cunliffe Solicitors, Your questions answered.

At Amanda Cunliffe, we understand that making a claim can be a confusing situation. Therefore, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions and answered them for your convenience.

How do I get compensation?

There are millions of people in the UK and many who have not only been injured in vehicle accidents, but also at work or in a public place through no fault of their own. If you have suffered an injury that was caused by someone else, we are here to help.

At Amanda Cunliffe Solicitors, compensation is our specialty, and we provide our customers with the very best representation for their personal injury claim.

How long do I have to make a claim after an accident?

The law states you have three years from the date of the accident or the date when you knew, or ought to have known, that you had a claim for compensation, in which to make a claim. 3 years from your 18th Birthday if you were under 18 years of age at the time of the accident. However, the longer you leave it to make a claim before you deal with it, the harder it becomes to pursue your personal injury claim as people’s memories fade and documents can go missing.

How much compensation will I receive?

The amount of compensation you may receive depends on the circumstances and the severity of the injuries you sustained, as well as the time it took to fully recover from your injuries. Every case is different, so it’s impossible to give an exact indication of the amount you may receive.

We will only act if the value of injuries exceeds £1000 in compensation, as under this amount you cannot recover your legal costs.

What if I lose the claim, will it cost me anything?

You can protect yourself from the risk of losing your claim and having costs to pay by taking out insurance or by using legal expense insurance that you may already have. Amanda Cunliffe Solicitors will explore this with you and advise you on your best options. If you follow our advice you should not have anything to pay if you lose your claim.

Does it matter if I was injured whilst not wearing my seat belt?

Your ability to claim compensation will not be affected by you not wearing a seat belt if one was fitted, but there could be a deduction because if you had been wearing a seat belt your injury would probably have been less than the injuries sustained by not wearing one. However, it can also depend on what injuries occurred due to you not wearing the fitted seat belt. Some injuries can also be caused by the wearing of seat belts.

How are my damages calculated?

The damages that you are entitled to are calculated in accordance with those recommended to Judges by the Judicial Studies Guide. After the medical report has been obtained, we will be able to give you more guidance as to what your claim could be worth.

How much will making a claim cost me?

Once your case has been won, we deduct our fee from your compensation award. Our success fee amounts to 25% of the compensation awarded, and this is deducted from your compensation.

Can I recover loss of earnings?

Yes. You can recover for loss of earnings; any loss of earnings will be claimed as special damages and is in addition to your compensation for injury.

Can I recover loss of earnings if I am self-employed?

Yes. Loss of earnings for self-employed people can be calculated by looking at copy accounts, invoices, and books etc, but you do need to demonstrate that you have suffered a loss because of the accident and not by other factors that may affect the business. This makes it more difficult but it is still possible.

Can I be compensated for losing my job?

Yes. For the time that you were injured after you have lost your job, you can claim for loss of earnings. In other cases, you can recover compensation known as loss of congenial employment, which means you can claim for the fact you loved your job and now must take another.

Can I recover the cost of someone looking after me when I am injured?

Yes. The cost of a carer can usually be recovered, whether it be a professional carer that is justified by the medical evidence or a family member that is looking after you. The costs are calculated at different rates for a professional and a family member.